This month, Ecosia pledged to plant 80,000 extra trees in Uganda and Indonesia – one for every person who attended the Parisian music festival We Love Green.
But even if you don’t attend the world’s greenest festival, there are many things you can do to party more sustainably this festival season.
- Take a reusable water bottle and a reusable coffee mug.
- Check out the veggie food! Many festivals have moved beyond the ‘token falafel’ stall and now offer lots of good options.
- Leave no trace – pick up your rubbish and use the bins provided! Don’t forget to recycle.
- Some festivals offer a financial incentive or ‘eco bond scheme’ for picking up trash at the end of the festival. Check if your festival does this!
- Take your tent with you at the end. You can find lots of good facts on campsite waste here.
- Whenever possible, travel by train, bus or bike.
- Use the compost toilet instead of the chemically nasty portaloos.
- Smokers can take portable ashtrays (some festivals give these out).
- Dressing up is super fun, but it’s best to raid charity shops for costumes and use eco-friendly, compostable glitter!
- Choose a festival that has green credentials (e.g. Shambala in UK or We Love Green in France)
Do you have any other tips? Any festivals you’re going to this Summer? Let us know in the comments below!